ColegauCymru leads on delivering development opportunities overseas for learners and staff through Erasmus+ and the Turing Scheme. We also work closely with Welsh Government to shape the International Learning Exchange Programme to suit the needs of further education learners.
The ColegauCymru consortia applications for Erasmus+ funding enables learners and apprentices to take part in two-week work placements at various locations across Europe. The work placements are compatible with the learners’ qualifications in Wales and offer life-changing experiences to young people who may never have considered employment opportunities beyond Wales.
Further education colleges in Wales recognise that good practice and new ideas exist elsewhere. This scheme continues to explore different approaches and ideas as well as establishing new partnerships with counterparts in Europe.
The ColegauCymru consortia applications for Erasmus+ funding enables FE lecturers, leaders and support staff from across Wales to take part in valuable CPD opportunities across Europe. On these visits, we gather evidence, ideas and good practice from abroad to support strategic-level improvements to Wales’ vocational education and training structures.
Since 2014, representatives from ColegauCymru, further education colleges, Estyn and Welsh Government have taken part in the ColegauCymru Erasmus+ CPD visits abroad and have been given an opportunity to explore a range of themes and priorities including:
- 2014 - Improving literacy and numeracy and breaking the link between poverty and educational attainment (Helsinki, Finland)
- 2015 - Innovation in VET and supporting SMEs (Basque Country, Spain)
- 2016 - Multilingualism and working more closely with employers by developing skills that respond to the needs of the workplace (Catalonia, Spain)
- 2017 - Higher level skills in an FE setting (Sonderborg, Denmark)
- 2018 - Internationalisation in VET (Helsinki, Finland)
ColegauCymru also has existing funding from its Erasmus+ applications in 2019 and 2020 for staff visits to:
- Germany - digitalisation of VET
- Norway, Austria and Ireland - the professional learning of VET staff
*Although the UK no longer participates in the Erasmus+ International Learning Exchange Programme, existing funding received to benefit learners and staff will continue to be used up until 2023.*
Erasmus+ is the EU's programme to support education, training, youth and sport in Europe. Visit the website for further information.
Our International and European Project Manager Siân Holleran leads the Erasmus+ Programme on behalf of ColegauCymru. Contact Siân for further information: Sian.Holleran@colegaucymru.ac.uk